The Konstantin Basilika
The Konstantin-Basilika still dominates the cityscape of Trier today, and has been on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list since 1986. The present Protestant church is based on a Roman monumental building, which is the largest column-free room still preserved from ancient times. The Konstantin-Basilika was built around 310 CE by the Emperor Constantine, from whom it takes its name, as the palace assembly hall, which was the throne room of the Roman emperors. With a length of 71 metres, a width of 32.6 metres and a height of over 36 metres, the room’s colossal dimensions still impress visitors today.
The basilica has undergone a variety of alterations and destruction during the course of its volatile history. In the Middle Ages the palace assembly hall was converted into a fortress, and it later served as a residence for the archbishops and electors of Trier. Then, in the 17th century, some of the monument's walls were used to build the castle, and the basilica's original form became barely recognisable. Under Friedrich Wilhelm IV the basilica was rebuilt on the original Roman scale, and then in 1856 it was consecrated as a Protestant church. Another reconstruction of the Konstantin-Basilika was necessary after the Second World War, and the church was reconsecrated in 1956. Today services and other events regularly take place in the Protestant Church of the Redeemer. The Konstantin-Basilika is open to visitors during opening hours.
Guided tours are possible by prior arrangement. Please contact the parish office of the Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Trier.